I know a lot of people who make these different, and all still taste fantastic. But for some reason, I suck at getting the cream cheese mixture the bubble in the middle of the muffin. I've tried it so many ways and it always ends up like this. Oh well, just makes it look like there's more cheesy goodness!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins
1 block (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
as much chocolate chips as your heart desires
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup cocoa (more or less depending on how rich you like it)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup warm water
1 cup margarine, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
1. In small bowl mix together the first four ingredients until blended well, set aside.
2. In large bowl whisk together the margarine, water, vanilla, and sugar. Add in flour, baking soda, and cocoa gradually.
3. Using either mini lined muffin tins or regular lined muffin tins, scoop batter evenly into each muffin tin leaving some room at the top for the cream cheese mixture.
4. Once all liners are filled, scoop the cream cheese mixture evenly on top of the batter.
5. In preheated 350 degree F oven, (if using mini muffin tins) bake for about 15 minutes (if using regular sized muffin tins) bake for 20-25 minutes.