Orange Cream Cake
Please note: this recipe gives one 9 inch cake. In the photo I used two recipes to get two 9 inch cakes for the layered cake. This recipe will only give one layer.
2 3/4 cup flour*
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup milk or light cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, whisk together to egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the rest of the sugar, again, until soft peaks form.
4. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, in about 3 parts, beginning and ending with the flour, beat well.
5. In 9-inch springform pan, line with either parchement paper, wax paper, or grease with non-stick spray (ex. Pam). Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
6. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling wrack to finish cooling.
*You may use either cake flour or all-purpose flour. I've tried both and they both give the same great result.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
1 block cream cheese (8 ounce), softened
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. squeezed orange juice
Enough icing sugar to give the consistancy you desire.
1. Cream together to butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
3. Gradually add in the icing sugar, mixing well until all is incorporated.
4. Spread over both cake layers, garnish with orange zest or orange slices.