This week in my town we're hosting a contest called "You bake the cake" and I figured I'd enter! So, here's the photo of my cake, along with the recipe below. Enjoy!
Citrus Cream Cake
2 3/4 cup flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup milk or light cream
1 tsp. vanilla
orange zest & juice from one orange
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. In microwavable bowl, melt the butter and add the milk.
3. In large bowl, whisk together to egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the rest of the sugar, again, until soft peaks form.
4. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture, in about 3 parts, beginning and ending with the flour, folding in.
5. In 9-inch springform pan, line with either parchement paper, or grease with non-stick spray (ex. Pam). Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
6. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling wrack to finish cooling.
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
1 block cream cheese (8 ounce), softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. squeezed orange juice
Enough icing sugar to give the consistancy you desire.
1. Cream together to butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
3. Gradually add in the icing sugar, mixing well until all is incorporated.
4. Spread over cake and garnish with orange slices, orange zest, or whatever your heart desires :)